TRANSFER STATION POLICY
14591 Highway 542, Gordon, Ontario
The Town of Gore Bay and the Municipality of Gordon/Barrie Island are committed to recycling to divert the maximum amount away from a landfill. The following guidelines apply to all residents and visitors. Reducing the amount we transport to Espanola will reduce our trucking costs.
The following items must be sorted before you bring your waste to the transfer station:
COMPOST: Please compost at home all “wet garbage”, i.e. organic matter such as all food scraps and grass cuttings.
COMMINGLE RECYCLING – NEW! (BLUE BINS)
- METAL FOOD/BEVERAGE CONTAINERS: Empty, rinse and place in commingle recycling bin. Empty, dry paint cans with lids removed also accepted.
- ALUMINUM FOIL WRAPS & TRAYS: Rinse and crumple foil and trays.
- RIGID PLASTIC CONTAINERS: Only rigid food, beverage, personal, pet care, and detergent containers. Empty, rinse, and remove lids. Plastics numbered 1-6 only. Please check your containers.
- MILK AND JUICE CARTONS & JUICE BOXES: Remove plastic caps to recycle and remove any straws and place in garbage. Empty and flatten. All these items are to be placed loosely in commingle bin.
- GLASS FOOD/BEVERAGE BOTTLES, JARS: Bag & Place with regular garbage.
- CARDBOARD: Store your waste cardboard in a dry place and bring it to the transfer site COLLAPSED. Place in the cardboard bins. (books, newspaper, single layered cardboard included)
- WHITE METAL/SCRAP METAL: A bin is available at the transfer site for this material. A tipping fee will be charged by the transfer site attendant.
- HAZARDOUS WASTES: Are not accepted at the transfer site.
All garbage which is non-recyclable must be placed in CLEAR garbage bags. NO COLOURED BAGS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE TRANSFER STATION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Garbage in “kitchen catchers” or tied into large clear plastic bags and the shopping bags will not be accepted.
MEDICAL WASTES: Including, but not limited to diabetic needles WILL NOT be accepted. Please check with local pharmacies and Medical Centre regarding disposal.
Waste from buildings being demolished or renovated WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. You may contact Dodge Haulage or Riverside Enterprises to make arrangements to take to the Espanola Landfill.
Please remember that recycling and garbage handling and disposal is an expensive business and the more we can: “REDUCE, REUSE, & RECYCLE” at home and divert from the transfer site, the lower the transportation costs will be for all concerned.
We look forward to your continued co-operation in our efforts to divert as much waste from our transfer station as possible.
IMPORTANT: IF YOUR GARBAGE IS NOT SORTED AS PER ABOVE POLICY, JOANNE NOLAND HAS BEEN INSTRUCTED NOT TO ACCEPT IT.
TRANSFER STATION HOURS:
WINTER: September 16th – June 14th
Wednesday 12:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
SUMMER: June 15th – September 15th
Monday 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Wednesday 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Riverside Enterprises: 1-705-869-2447 H. Dodge Haulage: 1-705-869-3867
QUESTIONS ABOUT WASTE & RECYCLING? Call the town garage at 705 282-2708 or email us.